Steps on How to Transfer Land Title in the Philippines

Land title transfer procedure is the same when transferring title for a condominium.

Before the step-by-step guide on how to transfer land titles, we assume that both parties, the seller and the buyer have had a meeting of the minds and have executed a document to effect the conveyance of the property. This deed of conveyance for a sale (for example), referred to as a Deed of Absolute Sale, spells out the details of the subject property, the selling price and the parties involved.

Title Transfer Requirements

  1. Deed of Conveyance – whether it is a Deed of Absolute Sale (DOAS), Extrajudical Settlement of Estate with Sale (EJS with Sale), Deed of Donation, etc. Prepare 8 copies.
    • For sales transactions, prepare an Acknowledgement Receipt of the amount received by the seller. Or an Official Receipt, if the seller is a real estate dealer or habitually engaged in real estate.
    • Make sure the deed indicates the unique Tax Identification Number (TIN) numbers of the parties involved. Important: the spelling of the names on the deed of conveyance, the name on the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) TIN and on the identification documents should be the same; the signature on the deed of conveyance and on the IDs should be the same.
    • Both the Deed and the Acknowledgement Receipt must be notarized.
    • Why prepare 8 copies? Here’s the distribution breakdown:
      1. Notary Public
      2. Seller
      3. Seller’s Licensed Real Estate Broker
      4. Buyer
      5. Buyer’s Licensed Real Estate Broker
      6. Copy for submission to the various government agencies (Bureau of Internal Revenue, LGU Treasurer’s Office, Registry of Deeds, LGU Assessor’s Office)
      7. Copy for the Condominium Corporation or Homeowner’s Association
      8. Copy as Reserve
  2. Photocopies of IDs of all signatories in the deed; all photocopies must have 3 signatures of the owner of the ID; IDs are called “competent evidence of identity” and are defined as a “current identification document issued by an official agency bearing the photograph and signature of the individual”. Examples: Valid Passport, Valid Driver’s License, Valid license cards issued by the Professional Regulations Commission, etc. Important: Do not use expired IDs.
  3. Official Receipt of the Notary Public for the notarization of the deed.
  4. Certified True Copy of the Title (Get 3 copies.) You will get this from the Registry of Deeds that has jurisdiction over the property.
  5. Certified true copy of the latest Tax Declaration. When you request for the certified true copies of the latest Tax Declaration indicate for “BIR Purposes”. Please take note that there are separate tax declarations for the land and for the improvement (ex. house, building). The Tax Declaration is issued by the Assessor’s Office of the city or municipality where the property is located.
  6. Tax Clearance – Issued by the Office of the Treasurer of the city or municipality. This certifies that the Real Property Taxes for the property, both the land and improvements, have been paid. Requirements to get a Tax Clearance:
    • Latest Tax Declaration
    • Latest Official Receipts of Real Property Tax payments
    • Previous Tax Clearance (if any)
    • SPA and valid ID if the requesting party is not the registered owner
  7. Clearance from the Homeowners Association (HOA) if property, whether lot, house and lot, lot with building, is located inside a subdivision or Management Certificate if property is a condominium unit. Both the HOA Clearance and Management Certificate prove that the seller has settled all HOA/condo dues for the year. The certificate also indicates if the property has been leased. Note: Have this certificate notarized.
  8. Marriage certificate (for married sellers and buyers)
  9. Birth certificate (only when applicable). In cases of Deed of Donation proving relationship between donor and donee or Extra-Judicial Settlement to prove relationship between decedent and heirs.
  10. Certificate of No Marriage (Cenomar) (only when applicable). Needed if seller or buyer is single. Please take note that the Cenomar is valid only for six (6) months from issuance by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
  11. For lots-only sale: Certificate of No Improvement. Secure this from the Assessor’s Office of the city or municipality
  12. 3” x 5” color photos of the property frontage or facade
    • Land and House – Photo showing the front outside of the house including the house number.
    • Condominium – Photo showing the building with the building name visible. Photo of the unit door with the door number visible.
  13. Location map – just print a Google Map pertaining to the property.
  14. Owner’s Duplicate Copy of the Title
    • Transfer Certificate of Title (TCT) – for land or house and lot or lot with improvement
    • Condominium Certificate of Title (CCT) – for a residential condominium, office condominium or parking unit
  15. Special Power of Attorney to Process the Title Transfer – if someone else shall process your title transfer. This SPA shall be required by the BIR, LGU Treasurer’s Office, Registry of Deeds, and LGU Assessor’s Office. Important: It should be signed by the seller.